Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kid updates

So I have an Erin story...again...but also boy stories, for once! See, I told you I knew I had other kids!

Erin made a "Happy Thanksgiving" picture at school today, and signed it, "Love, Erin." I love the way her brain interprets things we adults see in a totally different light. "Mommy, look," she told me. "It says 'Love, Erin.' And you DO love me, don't you?! Because it says 'Love Erin' and so you love me!" It's not a closing, it's a command... ;)

Brian gave his first book report presentation today. I was so proud--I would have been one of those annoying parents videotaping my kid in the middle of the school day when none of the other (normal) parents feel the need to show up, if I hadn't had to work. Just like me (sigh), he felt totally overwhelmed and didn't do anything on it until the night before it was due, and then knocked out a brilliant summary and personal response to Beast Quest: Ferno the Fire Dragon. He decided to "go for a 4" (a higher grade) and do a book project in addition to his little speech, and so we found ourselves at Target buying action figures, a red fireball-shooting dragon, and other random items that went with the book. I found some bright red paper lunch sacks, too, and I cut flames in the top. So he had a nice fire-y bag full of props from the story to tell about after reading his speech. He says it went over well, and the kids liked seeing the props. :) I am almost embarrassed to admit how proud I was of the flames I cut in that bag. I almost took a picture of it, under the guise of it being his first book report. I still might. Those were some pretty awesome-looking flames. Especially on that bright red bag. (I'm amazed I let him do any of this report, lol. I have way too much fun with school projects.)

Christopher is humoring me by allowing me to read him a chapter from The City of Ember each night. He'd probably finish the thing in an hour and a half if I'd just let him read it himself, but he's kindly letting me feel like an un-neglectful parent and read to him. :) We just started tonight, but so far, his thoughts are:
- Ember must be a really old city, and so this story must have taken place a very long time ago (hehe...can't wait to get further along and see what he thinks then)
- Lina must be SO relieved to have been able to trade jobs
- He wonders what ideas Doon has about the generator

I'm positively giddy at the thought of raising a little crew of literary critics. :)

No comments: