Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Alarm clock woes

I have the laziest kids EVER. They all like to stay in bed as long as possible, not getting up until I start yelling that I'm going to drag them to the car in their pajamas and they'll be grounded till next Christmas if they don't GET OUT OF THAT BED THIS INSTANT BECAUSE I AM NOT GOING TO BE LATE FOR WORK, YOU UNDERSTAND ME? So to take the yelling out of the picture, I thought I'd invest in an alarm clock, so that something else could screech at them--and hopefully get them to listen, since it doesn't stop till you get up.

On the first day we used it, I had set the alarm for 7 am. I got up at 6:45 just to be able to witness their reaction from the doorway. 7:00 hit, the alarm started making this horrendous high-pitched buzzing noise...and my boys slept. It continued. They kept sleeping. FIVE MINUTES of this went on and finally Brian rolled over and pulled the pillow over his head.

After ten minutes of noise that would wake the dead, but apparently not my kids, Brian finally started moaning to Christopher, who was convinced after yet another 5 minutes to get up and turn the thing off. And then both of them covered their heads with their blankets and went back to sleep.

It's been a week and a half now, and they've streamlined their morning routine: Alarm rings at 7 am. Brian (top bunk) yells at Chris (bottom bunk) for a minute or two. At about 7:02, Christopher turns off the alarm. Both then go back to sleep. At 7:15 or so I come in, see them both sleeping, and do the shake/talk/shake some more/finally start yelling routine until they get out of bed. Christopher is generally cooperative after the third or so try. Brian is about two minutes away from being hauled to the car in pajama bottoms every morning.

Erin tries the "hide under the comforter" routine, too, but the threat of missing breakfast usually gets her out.

And of course, every weekend morning, they're all up by 7 am. I'm thinking of changing the name of every day to "Saturday" and seeing how that goes.

No comments: