Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kids' memories: like elephants, but for all the wrong things

I am continually amazed at the sheer power my children have to recall the most minute details of seemingly insignificant moments that happened long ago. I won't go so far as to say they have good memories, because these same children don't remember what happened at school that day, to give me a permission slip for a field trip due that week, their house keys, their homework, their jackets, or even to put away groceries that they were RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of putting away. No, when it comes to anything actually important, my kids' minds are a sieve.

But leave it to Erin to remember a conversation we must have had at least four months ago when I was likely busy doing something requiring concentration, and she was supposed to be cleaning her room. I don't quite recall how it came about, but she must have found an unused bedsheet in her room, and decided it would make a beautiful tablecloth. Knowing Erin, she probably decreed that the sheet, with its purple floral pattern, would make a great tablecloth for X holiday or for spring or even right that minute...and knowing me, I probably mumbled something to the effect of "uh huh, oh, but not now, let's try that later, go put it away," which of course means "that's a craptastic idea, it's a BEDSHEET, it doesn't go on a table, but I'm not going to hurt your feelings so go put it away and I'll hope you forget all about it." Which it appeared she did, as it wasn't mentioned for four months.

Fast forward to today, and the girl who can't remember where she put her shoes five minutes ago suddenly has an epiphany. "MOM! MOM! Tomorrow is EASTER! We need the special tablecloth!!! You know, the one with all the flowers!" I am wracking my brain, trying to recall what Easter tablecloth I have and where it might be packed away, when she returns with...a sheet. "HERE MOM USE THIS IT'S SO PRETTY IT'S PERFECT FOR EASTER LOOK AT ALL THE FLOWERS! Isn't it BEAUTIFUL?!!" And I try to explain again it's a SHEET, for her BED, and she has SLEPT on it and we don't particularly want to eat a meal on something she's slept on. And there are puppy dog eyes and crocodile tears and stomping of feet and protests that "BUT MOM YOU PROMISED, DON'T YOU REMEMBER?"

Sigh.

So it may be a good thing we don't have company this year for Easter. And if the tablecloth that shows in our Easter morning pictures tomorrow looks a little...off...all I can say is Erin is pretty darn persuasive. Which is a polite way to say "loud and obnoxious and sometimes it's easier to just give in than try logic and reason."

No comments: